Vikram (born on April 17, 1966, Paramakkudi, Ramnad district, TN as John Kennedy), is an Indian born actor, a Tamilian, Catholic who has starred in a number of top-grossing Tamil films and is currently one of the reigning heroes of Tamil Film Industry (aka Kollywood). His screen name is Vikram aka Chiyaan Vikram . He is also affectionately called as Kenny in close circles. With numerous blockbusters to his credit, Vikram has carefully niched a place for himself on the silver screen. Noted films that gave him the star status include Sethu, Dhill, Kasi, Dhool, Saamy, Gemini, Pithamagan and Anniyan.
After the success of Sethu, Tamil Nadu gave him the title or prefix honour of being addressed as "Chiyaan", named after his character in the film. Hence, the name "Chiyaan" Vikram. He won the National Film Awards of India for his performance as an undertaker in Pithamagan, 2003.
Sethu, which released in 1999, was Vikram's first blockbuster though he made his debut almost a decade earlier. The film grossed over Rs.50 million at the box office. He shared a good rapport with its director Bala.
Vikram's second blockbuster Dhill came in 2001. The film grossed over Rs.100 million at the box office. Its director Dharani was a school-time friend of Vikram.
Vikram's third blockbuster Gemini came the very next year in 2002. It grossed over Rs.200 million at the box office. By then, the trade began comparing him with long established superstar Rajnikanth.
Vikram's fourth blockbuster Dhool and fifth blockbuster Saamy both came in 2003. The film Saamy grossed over Rs.300 million at the box office. The film prompted director Shankar to notice his rising graph and booked him for his mega project Anniyan.
Vikram's latest blockbuster Anniyan released in 2005. The film played for 150 days in Kollywood and 240 days in Tollywood. It grossed over Rs.500 million at the box office.
He was also a part of Mani Ratnam's stage show, Netru, Indru, Naalai alongside many other co-stars.
Year Film Co-Stars Language Role
2007 Kandasaamy Shriya Saran Tamil Kandasaamy
2007 Bheema Trisha Krishnan, Sherin Tamil
2005 Majaa Asin Thottumkal, Sindhu Tolani Tamil Mathi Govindan
2005 Anniyan Sadha, Yana Gupta Tamil Ramanujam Iyengar
2004 Arul Jyothika Saravanan, Chaya Singh Tamil Arulkumaran
2003 Pithamagan Surya Sivakumar, Sangeetha, Laila Mehdin, Simran Bagga Tamil Chitthan
2003 Saamy Trisha Krishnan Tamil Aarusaamy
2003 Kadhal Sadugudu Priyanka Trivedi Tamil Suresh
2003 Dhool Jyothika Saravanan, Reema Sen Tamil Aarumugam
2002 King Sneha Tamil Raja Shanmugam
2002 Samurai Anitha, Jayaseel, Shriya Reddy Tamil Thiagarajan
2002 Gemini Kiran Rathod Tamil Gemini
2002 Kasi Kavya Madhavan, Kaveri Tamil Kasi
2001 Dhill Laila Tamil Sakthivel
* He won the National Film Award for Best Actor for his performance as an undertaker in Pithamagan, 2003.
* Vikram has won the Filmfare Best Actor Award South four times.
* He is an MBA graduate from Loyola college.
* Vikram being prominent in Tamil and Telugu film industries had made his first appearance in Bollywood in 2005 in the film Aparichit, the dubbed version of Vikram's Tamil hit Anniyan. Anniyan was also dubbed in French as well, the first Tamil film to be done so.
* He did his high schooling at Montfort Anglo-Indian higher secondarySchool at Yercaud, Salem, where even Bollywood actress Rekha also studied in that school.
* Vikram's father is also a supporting actor, acting in many films. His father acted in Ghilli mega hit movie, as Trisha's father.
Home » »Unlabelled » Vikram Complete Profiles